- 8 cups water
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 1 1/4 cup canola oil or butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
Directions (stove top):
1. Place water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, wash rice in a large bowl with cold water several times. Drain.
3. Add rice and salt to boiling water and cook for 6 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and pour rice into strainer to drain.
5. Add 1 cup of the oil (or butter) in the same saucepan used to cook the rice and place over high heat. Add rice.
6. Place a clean dishtowel or paper towel over the saucepan and cover firmly with lid to prevent steam from escaping. Cook for 3 minutes over high heat.
7. Remove lid and towel. Drizzle rice with remaining oil (or butter). Replace towel and lid and continue to cook over low heat for 30 minutes.