Directions (stove top):
1. Place water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, wash rice in a large bowl with cold water several times. Drain.
3. Add rice and salt to boiling water. Bring to a boil and cook for 6 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and pour rice into a strainer to drain.
5. Add Sabzi Polo to rice in the strainer (as shown in the picture below).
6. Add 1 cup of the oil (or butter) in the same saucepan used to cook the rice and place over high heat. Add rice mixture and garlic, stirring to combine.
7. Place a clean dishtowel or paper towel over the saucepan and cover firmly with lid to prevent steam from escaping. Cook for 3 minutes over high heat.
8. Remove lid and towel and drizzle remaining oil (or butter) over top. Replace towel and lid and continue to cook over low heat for 40 minutes.
There are several delicious variations for Tahdig. Use the recipe below or add cooked chicken or thinly sliced potatoes to the bottom of the saucepan before adding the rice mixture.
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water (optional)
1. Make Sabzi Polo as in directions above through Step 5.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together egg yolk, yogurt and saffron.
3. Add 1 cup of rice with herbs mixed in, stirring to combine.
4. Place mixture on the bottom of the saucepan in hot oil then add the rest of the rice mixture and garlic on top.
5. Continue Sazbzi Polo directions, Steps 7 and 8.
Instruction for using a rice cooker:
1. Wash rice in a large bowl with cold water several times. Drain.
2. Place rice in rice cooker.
3. Add Sabzi Polo
4. For each cup of rice add 1 1/2 cup of water.
5. Stir in 1 cup oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 clove minced garlic.
6. Cover and cook [according to rice cooker instructions?].