Khoresh Bademjan (Eggplant Stew)
- Prep Time 15 Minutes
- Cook Time 30 Minutes
- Total Time 45 Minutes
- Serves 3-4 People
- Calories 200 kcal
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (extra light olive oil or grapeseed oil preferred)
- 1 pound beef stew meat (minute roast)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided (approximate)
- 1 container Kadbanou Fried Eggplant
- 1 cup Kadbanou Fried Onions
- 1 28 oz can of peeled tomatoes, divided ((i) all whole tomatoes and (ii) 1/2 cup of the sauce in can)
- 1 handful Kadbanou Sour Grapes
- Remove Kadbanou Fried Eggplant, Kadbanou Fried Onions, Kadbanou Sour Grapes from freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in deep skillet.
- Once oil is ready, add meat, turmeric and paprika to skillet. Brown meat on both sides on medium heat for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water or just enough to cover the meat, as well as the salt. Close the lid and let the meat simmer in the water on medium heat for approximately 75 minutes or until the meat is fork tender. Note that you may need to add some additional water to the skillet along the way if the mixture is becoming too dry.
- Place the Kadbanou Fried Eggplant in the middle of the skillet.
- Add the whole peeled tomatoes to the skillet on the other side of the eggplant so that the meat is on one side, the eggplants are in the middle, and the tomatoes are on the other side. Note: Do not pour the liquid/tomato sauce from the can into the skillet yet. Just place the tomatoes into the skillet and hold onto the sauce.
- Break apart the Kadbanou Fried Onions with your hands and sprinkle it on top of the tomatoes and the meat, but not the eggplant.
- Sprinkle the Kadbanou sour grapes over everything.